Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Kubla ReCap (long) - (now with a kitten!)

So, another Kubla down.  Six games of Battleground, 3 games of Bloodbowl, 4 games of 40k, lots of food and beer, and travel.  One puking 1 year old in the middle of the night.  Too much time spent in the airport.  The only major "kerfuffle" was when the mini's coordinator put is in the main space, which forced a time limit on the 40k event.  And even that wasn't that bad.

Right - so the recap:

Thursday - we flew out of Pasco in the late afternoon, arriving at San Fransisco Airport about 45 minutes ahead of "Oma" (my mother-in-law... German for Grandma).

Friday - Breakfast with the women-folk (minus Darby, she was already on the clock), some hanging out, wandering around the hotel, etc.  Once Corey and crew showed up, we unpacked his cars, did some more hanging out, wandered through the dealer's room - got some dinner and beer.  From there, the gaming started.

We played 3 games of Battleground that night.  Two at 1500 and one at 2000 (the front half of a six-round campaign-a-ment).  I rolled both Scott and Manny, and then proceeded to get rolled by Corey.  (See pictures below of the setup with Manny).  After some sleep...

Saturday - up, food, grabbed the BG stuff as well as the BB stuff we were going to need.  Played three more games of Battleground (one at 2000, and two at 2500).  Rolled Manny, rolled Scott, got rolled by Corey.  I'm sensing a pattern here - maybe it has to do with I play this game... oh, roughly once or twice a year, and he plays it 3-4 times a month.  On to bloodbowl.  Some new pitches, some new rules, and used my Slaan.  Corey hates my Slaan.  Something about being overpowered/undercosted...  We played the new (and improved) Tzeentch bowl.  Where rules change from turn to turn (including 3 turns of my hail-mary passer not wanting to give up the ball because it was his "precious" and one turn where my entire team had the stats of rookie Trolls).  I lost that game 1-0.  Game 2 was Mordheim bowl (think streetbowl, only full sized with some wacky fun time thrown in for good measure).  That was a 1-1 tie against the Dwarfs (highlights include a dead Kroxigor to a gang-tackle foul that the Apothecary couldn't help with).  Game 3 was against Chaos Dwarfs on Astartes Bowl.  Astartes bowl is like playing on the moon - you can choose to move as normal or Leap your entire movement - if you have leap, you get a re-roll on the landing.  You also end up flying back in squares equal to the strength of the blocker... it was fun.  That was a 3-0 win at the half.  At which point, it was 2:30 and I was tired.

Sunday - 40k de-escalation.  This time with "simpler" rules than last year.  My Orks tabled Manny's artillery company on turn 3 (the coup-de-gras being the deff kopta's hit-and-running out of combat with the command HQ "squad" after killing all but the Company Commander so Wazdakka could do a drive-by squishing.  I then proceeded to table Scott's Orks (are we seeing a pattern here?).  Against Corey in round 3 - it really came down to a failed physic test on his part to lash my nobs into range to do the beat down.  I still almost lost because of the mission.  Game 4 was against a deathwing army.  Random scenario, fun game... strange game.  Because we were at a time crunch, the game ended after turn 3 - where we figured out the mission.  The mission was Objectives, and at that point, I had 2 and he had 1 and contested 2... the objectives move.  We ended up with one each, and contesting 2...

After that, was the sitting around in the bar, eating, drinking and having fun.  Corey and Manny decided to get another game of Battleground in.  I went and sat in the human soup bowl for an hour with my wife, Corey's wife, and another woman... before getting kicked out by Hotel Staff.  Went back to watch Corey and Manny finish the game.  Corey and I went up to the staff room (cause the wives were there), and hung out till almost 2:30...

Monday, came way too early.  Oma was leaving on an early flight, shuttle left around 9am.  The kidlets and I did breakfast brunch with Corey and Manny, then I helped them pack up and get out.  We decided to put the kids down early since we were leaving so damn early on the morning on Tuesday... and they had other ideas.  :)  Ideas that involved Lili puking at about 3am (something she ate didn't agree with her).  We got up and checked out of the hotel at 6am, for the 8:30 flight back to Pasco.

After we got home, Darby and Lili took a nap, I did laundry... and then we went to the store for supplies so we could go pick up our new kitten.  We adopted her last weekend, but since we were going to be gone this weekend, we had a friend of ours take her for the week.  As of right now, she's sitting on the back of my chair sleeping.  I'm not sure what her name is yet, but she's cute - purrs like a... well, like a kitten.


  1. How did Ruth do with the girls (or should I ask how the girls did with Oma?)? Glad you guys had a great weekend; sucks we couldn't be there. As for the kitten, let Cora name her.

  2. I think I forgot to enter the capcha, so if this shows up twice, sorry.

    For the record, game two of cardhammer was lost because you failed 2-3 early rout checks. No grand strategy for me there, just your ability to roll lots of 5s and 6s isn't much help in this game.

    And with the Frogs, I picked Tzeentch Bowl so we wouldn't have the undercosted debate. ;-) If you remember, I did say that we should play a not-Tzeentch game and maybe I'd get used to the annoyance of them...